Local History
The Buchaceks of Bohemia
A Bohemia settler’s boy built Islip’s finest hostelry, gambled on an island in the Great South Bay, and outlived the trade he mastered
The Building
A Hostelry on Main Street
The Orowoc Hotel stood at 552 Main Street in Islip for something over sixty years. It took its name from the creek that runs down to the Great South Bay, and for thirty-five of those years it was run by the only son of one of Bohemia’s original settlers. A Chase Bank occupies the site today, and nothing on the corner suggests what was there.

This is the story of the man who kept it — and of the tailor from Bohemia who died in one of its upstairs rooms.
Origins
The Tailor Who Came at Twenty-Seven
Thomas Buchacek was about twenty-seven when he left Bohemia — then a Czech-speaking crown land of the Austrian Empire, in what is today the Czech Republic — and crossed to America around 1856. He was a tailor, and like most Czech tailors of his generation he found his first work in the needle trades of Manhattan.
In February 1859 he married a young Czech woman named Chernuska in Manhattan. Not long after, the couple went out to the scrub-oak country of Islip Town, to the settlement that would one day take the name Bohemia. They were, as the Brooklyn Daily Times later put it, “among the first there.”
Thomas kept at his trade for another three decades. The family held property on Smithtown Avenue, and in March 1896 the Suffolk County News noted that “Mr. Thomas Buchacek of Islip has moved his furniture here to his cottage on Smithtown Ave. and expects to spend the summer here” — a small item telling us the tailor had by then made his home down in Islip village and kept the Bohemia house as a summer place. Around 1892 he had put down the needle for good and gone to live with his son.
That son had a hotel.
The Family
Four Daughters and One Son
Thomas and Mary Buchacek raised five children: four daughters and a single son, Frank, born about 1864.
The daughters were Barbara, who married into the Nohowec family; Mary, who married the hotelman Ernest Johrens; and the twins Minnie and Ida, born about 1878. Minnie would marry Augustus Gleichmann. By the early 1900s all of them but Ida had settled in Mineola.
Ida did not get the chance. In the last week of October 1904 she died at her brother’s hotel in Islip, of acute jaundice and liver trouble, at twenty-six. She had nearly finished her training as a nurse and “would soon have graduated.” The Suffolk County News described her as “a native of Bohemia village in Islip town.” Her funeral was held on a Sunday afternoon in the hotel, and her body was carried back up to Bohemia for burial in the family plot.
The Orowoc
Proprietor First, Owner After
The Orowoc Hotel opened around 1889–90. The property belonged to George W. Clock, the town’s Excise Commissioner; Frank Buchacek ran the house, as the Suffolk County News later put it, “since it was first opened.” In those early years he had help from his brother-in-law Ernest Johrens, an experienced hotelier in his own right.
Then, in August 1895, Frank bought the place. He purchased from Clock “the hotel and its adjacent buildings and grounds” — the terms were private, but the village understood the figure to be $15,000 — and announced that the house would shortly be remodeled and enlarged. At about thirty-one, the tailor’s son owned outright the best hotel in Islip. Some papers called it the Orowoc House. Everyone in Islip simply called it the Orowoc.

It was not a commercial travelers’ inn. Islip in the 1890s and 1900s sat at the edge of the South Shore estate country, and the Orowoc served the people who came with it. A single week’s guest list from May 1901 gives the flavor: the Zimmermans, Miss Motley, M. L. Bowden Jr., Mr. and Mrs. John D. Adams — who had taken the Milderberger place on Awixa Avenue in Bay Shore for the season — Dunbar B. Adams, the C. F. Hubbses, and E. A. Breecher, all of New York, with a Brooklyn man named Clarence E. Early booking the house for a “social and smoker” later that month. Frank’s obituary would say the hotel was “patronized by numerous well-known families who owned extensive estates in the surrounding country,” and the guest books bear that out. The Brooklyn press called him “one of the best known hotel men and all around caterers on Long Island.”

He was equally rooted in the village’s own institutions. He joined the Islip Fire Department on January 4, 1887 — two years before the hotel opened — as a member of the old Protector Engine Company, which survives today as Engine Company 2. He held a life membership, and long after he stopped running to fires he was carried on the rolls as a privileged member. He was a life member of Meridian Lodge No. 691, F. & A. M., of Islip; of Patchogue Commandery No. 65, Knights Templar; and of Awixa Lodge, I.O.O.F., of Islip.
The Preserve
The Bohemia Sportsmen’s Club
Frank was a gunner before he was anything else. In November 1898 the Brooklyn Eagle, tallying the deer taken on Long Island that season, recorded that “the Bohemian Gun Club, including Frank Buchacek, proprietor of the Orowoc Hotel, secured two, a doe and a buck.”
By 1902 the outfit had a formal name and a posted preserve. That October the Suffolk County News carried a stiff little legal notice:
NOTICE. The Bohemia Sportsmen’s Club give notice that any one trespassing or violating the Game Laws on their preserve will be dealt with according to law.
— FRANK BUCHACEK, President.
He was not merely a member of the club. He ran it.
Fire Island
The Hotel That Was Never Built
The most ambitious thing Frank Buchacek ever attempted, he never finished.
In December 1900 he bought from Sarah A. Nicoll — widow of William Nicoll of Islip — land in the Great South Bay that had been part of the original Nicoll patent granted in the reign of Queen Anne and held by that family ever since. It lay about a mile and a half northeast of the Surf Hotel, the famous house the late D. S. S. Sammis had built and run for years, and it was one of a group of five islands — the “Five Islands” from which, the old papers insisted, Fire Island took its name. He paid something on the order of $2,500.
In January 1901 the Brooklyn Daily Times announced that the proprietor of the Orowoc would build there “a summer hotel during the coming season that will surpass anything of its kind ever erected hereabouts.” By May, Frank had thought better of the schedule: the papers were signed, he said, but the season was too short, and the house — a “day hotel,” with meals served through the day and evening — would be ready early the next year.
It never was. Ten years later he still owned the islands, and the only structure on them was, in one reporter’s phrase, “a crude house for occupancy during the gunning season.”
Then, in March 1911, he sold two of them for $35,000. The buyers — Edward Thompson of Brooklyn and Northport, Edward Lyon of Brooklyn, and Selah T. Clock and Dr. George S. King of Bay Shore — meant to dredge the surrounding water to seven feet, use the spoil to raise the land, and lay out villa plots on some fifty acres. The Brooklyn papers ran the story under a headline that was really the whole point: $32,500 IN TEN YEARS — Islip Hotel Man Makes Good Profit on His South Bay Investment.
The grand Fire Island hotel had never been built. It had simply, quietly, made him rich.
The Golden Wedding
Fifty Years, in the Hotel Parlors
On a Wednesday in February 1909, Frank and his three surviving sisters gave their parents a fiftieth-anniversary reception in the parlors of the Orowoc. Barbara Nohowec, Mrs. Ernest Johrens, and Mrs. Augustus Gleichmann came out from Mineola with the three grandchildren — Lillian Nohowec, Joseph Nohowec, and Dorothy Johrens. The paper noted with evident satisfaction that it was “a family reunion with no members absent,” and that the elderly couple were “both enjoying the best of health.”
Three and a half years later, on the night of October 30, 1912, Thomas Buchacek died in that same hotel, at about eighty-three. “With the death of Thomas Buchacek,” the Brooklyn Daily Times wrote, “there passed the last of the original settlers of the village of Bohemia.”
Prohibition
The Dry Law and the Welcome Home Dinner
Prohibition ought to have broken a hotel like the Orowoc. In May 1919 the Brooklyn Eagle reported that Frank Buchacek “believes he has found the solution of the hotel proposition under the ‘dry law.’ He has dispensed with the bar, and has opened a lunch room.”
It was enough. That same month Islip chose the Orowoc for the dinner welcoming home its soldiers and sailors from the Great War — a parade up Main Street beneath a Victory Arch near the Town Hall, dinner at the hotel, and a dance afterward at the fire headquarters. He remained a Bohemia landlord as well: that July, carpenters from Islip were at work on his house on Smithtown Avenue, where the Rudolph Voska family were then living.
Retirement
The Village Without a Hotel
Frank Buchacek retired around the end of 1925, after thirty-five years behind the desk, and the Orowoc closed with him.
The village felt it immediately. In June 1927 the Brooklyn Daily Times reported that the Islip Chamber of Commerce was trying to interest “local or foreign capital” in building a hotel, because “since the retirement of Frank Buchachek eighteen months ago, and the subsequent closing of the Orowoc Hotel, Islip has been without a hostelry.” The Chamber could not find a room large enough for its own weekly luncheon of sixty men. That September, Frank ran a small advertisement offering the hotel’s heating plant for sale — two boilers, forty radiators, pipes and fittings, “adapted for a large building or greenhouse.” Inquiries to 33 Locust Avenue, Islip, or telephone 1725.
He kept buying and moving buildings. When Islip’s old nine-room schoolhouse came up for sale, Frank Buchacek bought it, had it cut into sections, and hauled the pieces to Laurel Avenue north of New Street in East Islip, where they were rebuilt as houses. In 1967 the Islip Bulletin noted that several were still standing, still wearing the schoolhouse’s “gingerbread” trim.
The Last Buchacek
Union Cemetery, Bohemia
Frank Buchacek died at Southside Hospital on December 18, 1939, at seventy-five. He never married.
He left two sisters, Mary Johrens and Minnie Gleichmann, both of Mineola, and three nephews and a niece. His estate came to a little over $500 in personal property and more than $5,000 in real property; he left the furniture of the Locust Avenue house to his sisters, and divided the rest among them and his Nohowec niece and nephew, “both formerly of Bohemia.”
Fraternal services were held at the Overton Funeral Home in Islip, religious services the following morning. He was buried in Union Cemetery in Bohemia — the village his father helped begin.
Afterward
Walter Lipp and the End of the Building
The building outlived him. Walter Lipp took over the Orowoc around 1940 and modernized it, and a wartime write-up described the house at 552 Main Street as a “famous landmark in the section for more than 55 years”: a dining room seating a hundred and fifty, a bar-room for sixty with a twenty-foot bar, twenty clean bedrooms, and “that unusual combination of old-age charm and modern hospitality.”



The Orowoc was demolished in 1951. A bank stands there now.
A Note on the Record
The Grover Cleveland Story
One story about the hotel has been repeated in Islip for generations: that President Grover Cleveland stayed at the Orowoc while fishing at the nearby South Side Sportsmen’s Club.
It is a fine tradition, and it may well be true. But the Society has not yet found a contemporary source for it, and the club maintained its own lodging on the Connetquot — so we pass it along as local memory rather than established fact. If anyone can point us to a newspaper account or a hotel register, we would very much like to see it.
Help Us Fill In the Blanks
A good deal about the Buchaceks is still unrecorded. We do not know Mary Buchacek’s given name in Czech or when she died, whether Frank was born in Bohemia or East Islip, or exactly where the Bohemia Sportsmen’s Club preserve lay. We would also like to know when the Orowoc finally closed under Walter Lipp, and who took the photographs on this page.
One thread is worth following: the old Islip schoolhouse Frank bought, cut into sections, and moved to Laurel Avenue north of New Street in East Islip. As of 1967 several of those houses were still standing with their “gingerbread” trim intact. If you live in one, or know which they are, please tell us.
If you remember the Orowoc, or hold photographs, postcards, or family papers connected to it, please contact the Society. Corrections are welcome and encouraged — the people who lived it know it better than any document does.
Photographs and research courtesy of Thomas McMahon. Sources: Suffolk County News, 30 August 1895; 6 March 1896; 31 October 1902; 4 November 1904; 19 February 1909; 25 July 1919; 29 December 1939. Brooklyn Daily Eagle, 17 November 1898; 4 May 1919; 19 December 1939. Brooklyn Daily Times, 18 January 1901; 18 May 1901; 1 November 1912; 28 June 1927. The Signal, 17 March 1911. Islip Bulletin, 22 June 1967. Orowoc Hotel advertisement, c. 1944.