Skip to content

Bohemia Historical Society

The Man Who Built Bohemia

Joseph Novotny, 1871–1940 — carpenter, builder, and founding fire chief

Joseph Novotny

Joseph Novotny’s life traced almost exactly the arc of Bohemia itself — from a rough clearing in the Long Island pine barrens to an established Czech-American village with hotels, factories, churches, and the institutions of self-government. He helped build the village with his own hands, and then helped protect what he had built. By the time of his death in 1940, the structures he raised and the fire department he founded had defined the look and the civic character of Bohemia for nearly half a century.

circa 1871

A Family in the Second Wave

Joseph Novotny came to Bohemia as part of the second major wave of Czech migration to the settlement. He was the son of Josef Anton Novotny and Katherine (Matys) Novotny, and the family records preserved by descendants indicate that his parents sold their property in central Bohemia — in what is now the Czech Republic — on June 2, 1871, to fund their voyage to America.

Joseph was born around the time of that migration, circa 1871, making him essentially a first-generation American raised inside an immigrant household. His older sister, Frances Novotny, had been born October 16, 1859, in the old country; she would later live out her life on Long Island, dying in Sayville on April 15, 1953.

Like many Czech families who came to Bohemia in the 1860s and 1870s, the Novotnys’ decision was shaped by chain migration — earlier success stories from relatives and neighbors, including the Kroupa family, drew later arrivals to the same settlement on the South Shore. The Novotnys arrived during a period when the village was just beginning to transition from a scattered camp of woodcutters and small farmers into something resembling a structured town. The scrub oak was being cleared, the first commercial buildings along what would become “Hotel Row” were going up, and the community was creating the institutions — schools, fraternal halls, eventually churches — that would anchor it for the next century. This was the world in which Joseph grew up, and the world he would spend his adult life shaping.

The 1890s Boom

The Builder

By the late 1880s and into the 1890s, Bohemia’s growing population needed real buildings: hotels for visiting city-dwellers, factories for the booming cigar industry, halls for fraternal organizations, and homes that could comfortably house the large extended families typical of Czech settlers. Joseph Novotny became one of the village’s leading carpenters and builders during this boom.

The architectural vocabulary he and his contemporaries worked in was the practical Victorian vernacular of late-19th-century rural New York — steep gables, generous porches, wood-frame construction in the abundant local pine. The steep gables shed snow and added second-story volume; the deep porches were essential for the hotel and saloon trade, providing the shaded social spaces where guests gathered. These were not architect-designed buildings; they were carpenter-built buildings drawn from pattern books, trade knowledge, and the eye of the builder — and Novotny had a confident, recognizable eye.

The clearest surviving example of his work is his own home at 1281 Smithtown Avenue. Historians at the Bohemia Historical Society have noted a striking family resemblance between this house and the now-lost Central Hotel, suggesting that Novotny used his own residence as something of a showcase for the motifs he was building throughout the village. With most of “Hotel Row” gone — lost to fire, to redevelopment, or to the arrival of the airport era — the Novotny house stands as a “sibling” to those vanished landmarks and one of the best remaining records of what pre-airport Smithtown Avenue actually looked like.

Novotny also worked at the smaller scale that defined daily life in Bohemia. As the cigar industry exploded in the 1890s and into the early 1900s, dozens of families operated small backyard cigar workshops — known locally by the Czech-derived term hauziky (little houses), and in the English-language trade as “buckeyes.” Builders like Novotny put up these modest structures behind family homes throughout the village, embedding the cigar industry into Bohemia’s residential fabric in a way that left a permanent mark on the streetscape.

Winter 1893

The Fire Department Takes Shape

The same wood-frame construction that gave Bohemia its character also made it dangerously combustible. Cigar factories full of curing tobacco, hotels full of guests, homes heated by wood stoves, and outbuildings packed with hay sat shoulder to shoulder along sandy, unpaved streets. Until the early 1890s, the village had no organized fire protection at all — just informal bucket brigades summoned by church bells or shouting neighbors.

That changed in the winter of 1893. According to the records preserved by the Bohemia Historical Society, a meeting was held at the end of January 1893 — society sources cite the date variously as January 30 and January 31, 1893 — at which thirteen concerned residents formally organized the Bohemia Hook & Ladder Company No. 1. William Swanda chaired the meeting; Louis Kautsky served as secretary; the motion to organize the company was made by Joseph Fischer and carried unanimously.

A few months later, on May 19, 1893, the new company elected its first officers. In a striking vote of confidence, the men chose the 22-year-old Joseph Novotny as their first Foreman — the title used at the time for what would later be called the Chief of the department. Among those endorsing his election were older and more established figures including John Wild and Theodore Gross.

The choice made practical sense as much as it was symbolic. Novotny had built many of the very structures the new company was being created to protect. He knew where the weak points were — where flame would climb through the steep gables, where porches would carry fire from one building to the next, which hotels and factories had the worst stair runs. The builder of Bohemia was a natural choice to organize its defense.

1893–1920

Building the Department’s Infrastructure

Through 1893 and 1894, the young company moved with remarkable speed to put real institutional weight behind what had been a winter’s resolution.

The original Church Street firehouse

Land for a firehouse was secured later in 1893 on the south side of Church Street, at the corner of Walnut Avenue. The land was transferred for the symbolic sum of one dollar, a gesture that underscored the community ownership of the project. The site was deliberate: in the 1890s, the Church Street and Walnut Avenue intersection was the busiest in the village, anchored by Mazanek’s general store, post office and saloon, by Cervenka’s Grocery, by the Bohemia Hotel, and by the nearby Union Cemetery.

The first piece of apparatus, a Ramsey hand-drawn hook and ladder wagon, was purchased in 1893 for $375 — a serious sum for a community of farmers, carpenters, and cigar workers. It carried ladders, hooks, and axes, but it had no engine and no horse: the volunteers themselves dragged it through the sandy streets to every alarm.

The firehouse itself — a two-story wood-frame building in the late-Victorian carpenter-gothic vernacular — was built through the spring and summer of 1894, with the company holding its first meeting inside the new building in early September 1894. The ground floor housed the apparatus behind large double doors facing Church Street; the second floor became the meeting hall, band rehearsal room, and de facto civic center of the village.

The alarm system was beautifully simple: lacking the funds for a proper bell or siren, the department mounted a four-foot steel disk that, when struck, could be heard ringing across the entire village. Apparatus modernized in stages as the village grew. In 1915, the department added a horse-drawn chemical fire truck carrying a 40-gallon soda-acid tank. Then on November 5, 1920, the department made its leap into the modern era with the purchase of a motorized Reo truck for $2,500, ending the horse-drawn era for good. Novotny, by then in his late forties, was still involved with the department and oversaw the transition.

The Civic Hall

Why It Worked

What Novotny and his fellow founders built in 1893–94 was not just a fire company. It was the village’s first formal civic institution — the first thing in Bohemia organized not around a church congregation, a family, or a fraternal lodge, but around a shared public responsibility, with elections, officers, dues, and a building of its own. The second-floor meeting hall in the new firehouse quickly became the place where the community gathered for almost everything that wasn’t religious: rehearsals, social events, holiday parties, and political meetings. When the Armistice was announced on November 11, 1918, residents converged on the Church Street firehouse before a parade formed; in 1937, when Fire Warden Frank Cizek died fighting a brush fire in what is now Connetquot State Park — the only Bohemia Fire Department member lost in the line of duty during the department’s first century — it was again the firehouse that became the place of mourning.

That dual identity, half fire station and half civic hall, was Novotny’s quiet design as much as the steep-gabled hotels were.

1934–1938

The Suicide Squad and a Long Line of Service

The bravado culture that Novotny’s generation established carried directly into the next. By the 1930s the department fielded a competitive firefighter racing team — first nicknamed the Bear Cats, then renamed the Suicide Squad as a younger, more aggressive cohort took over. Firefighter racing was a major spectator sport on Long Island in that era: ladder climbs, hose hookups, and high-speed truck maneuvers, drilled at competition speed but built around real firefighting skills. The Bohemia team maintained its own wooden racing track in a wooded area between Church Street and Union Street, complete with a platform and a man-sized dummy used for rescue drills. Between 1934 and 1938, the Suicide Squad went undefeated in Suffolk County competition.

The team’s roster included figures who would become legends in the department’s memory: Joseph Navratil; Victor Humel; Harry “Chappie” Kovanda, the racing-truck driver; Frank “Babe” Tmay Jr., reputedly the fastest ladder climber in the county; Andrew “Andy” Reichel, who served as Chief in 1942; and William “Scobie” Schovanec, who joined the department in 1933, served in the Navy during World War II, worked as a welder at Grumman, played bugle in the department band, and ultimately gave the BFD more than seventy-five years of service. The arc from Novotny’s election in 1893 to Schovanec’s final years is essentially a single continuous chain.

1940

The End of an Era — and What Survives

Joseph Novotny died on April 6, 1940. By then the village he had helped build had already begun changing in ways he could not have foreseen as a young carpenter in the 1890s. Smithtown Avenue, once the social spine of an inward-facing Czech farming and cigar town, was becoming a thoroughfare into the orbit of the new MacArthur Field. The old hotel culture — saloons like Nohowec’s (later the Pilnacek’s Sunrise Hotel, later still the MacArthur Field Hotel) — was reorienting itself around airport traffic. The cigar industry that had once filled the backyard hauziky was in long decline.

The firehouse Novotny’s generation built lasted nearly seven more decades. The department finally moved its headquarters to a modern facility on Pearl Street in May 1962, with a further upgrade in 1975 to its current home at 950 Pearl Street. The old wooden firehouse at Church and Walnut stood empty for fifteen years afterward as a nostalgic landmark — and then, in 1977, in a final and bitter irony, it was destroyed by fire. The loss of the building Novotny had overseen as a young Foreman became one of the catalysts for the founding of the Bohemia Historical Society itself.

What does survive, more than anything else, is his house at 1281 Smithtown Avenue, still standing, still recognizable as a sibling to the lost Central Hotel, still bearing the steep gables and the deep porch line that defined the village he built. And the institution he founded with twelve neighbors at the end of a January meeting in 1893 is still answering alarms.

He built the place, and then he made sure it would not burn down.

Joseph Novotny was not a famous man outside his village. But within it, he gave Bohemia two things almost no other single person gave it: a face and a defense.

A Life and a Department at a Glance

c. 1871

The Family Emigrates

The Novotnys sell their property in central Bohemia and sail for America; Joseph is born around the time of the crossing.

1893

Hook & Ladder Founded

Thirteen residents organize Bohemia Hook & Ladder Co. No. 1 in late January; on May 19, Novotny is elected first Foreman at age 22. A $375 Ramsey wagon is the first apparatus.

1894

The Firehouse Rises

The two-story firehouse is completed at Church Street and Walnut Avenue — on land bought for one dollar — and becomes the village’s civic hall as well as its fire station.

1920

Into the Motor Age

On November 5 the department buys a motorized Reo truck for $2,500, ending the horse-drawn era. Novotny oversees the transition.

1934 – 1938

The Suicide Squad

The department’s racing team goes undefeated in Suffolk County, carrying Novotny’s bravado culture into the next generation.

1940

Novotny Dies

Joseph Novotny dies on April 6, as Smithtown Avenue turns from the spine of a Czech cigar town into a road toward MacArthur Field.

1977

The Old Firehouse Burns

The empty Church Street firehouse is destroyed by fire — a loss that helps spur the founding of the Bohemia Historical Society.